Applying for a school place in-year 2018/19
If you wish to change your child’s school mid way through the school year, due to a house move for example, you will need to complete an in-year application form. YOU SHOULD ONLY COMPLETE THIS FORM IF YOU ARE APPLYING FOR A HAMPSHIRE MAINTAINED SCHOOL OR ACADEMY.
If you wish to apply for a place in another local authority in England, you should contact that local authority for advice on how to make an application.
When applying for a place at a Hampshire maintained school or academy you must use the accompanying form and return it to your preferred school. Alternatively you can apply online at  You will receive a reply in writing from the school, normally within 10 school days.
Please note that in-year applications that specify a September 2018 start date will not receive a response until after 6th June 2018.
If you are moving house, evidence of your new address should be sent to the preferred school. Proof of exchange of contracts or a signed tenancy agreement will normally be accepted. The processing of your application may be delayed until the required address evidence is received.  The County Council may investigate the residence details you provide.  An offer of a place may be withdrawn if you provide false information.
For UK service personnel, with official proof of posting to Hampshire and a relocation date, a Unit postal address, a quartering address or future home address will be accepted as the address for the application.  This evidence must be sent to the preferred school. The processing of your application may be delayed until the required evidence is received.
Children ‘in care’ are defined as those who are (a) in the care of a local authority, or (b) being provided with accommodation by a local authority in the exercise of their social services functions (see the definition in section 22(1) of the Children Act 1989).  Applications on behalf of a child in care must be completed by the child’s Social Worker.  Applications cannot be accepted from the child’s carers. Social Workers are advised to contact the County Admissions Team for advice.
Children ‘Previously in care’ are defined for the purposes of the legislation as those who immediately after being in care became subject to an adoption, child arrangement/residence, or special guardianship order. One of the following must be attached to your application as evidence of your child’s status:
– an adoption order under section 46 of the Adoption and Children act 2002 or section 12 of the Adoption Act 1976; or
– a child arrangements/residence order settling the arrangements to be made as to the person with whom the child is to live under section 8 of the Children Act 1998; or
– a special guardianship order appointing one or more individuals to be a child’s special guardian(s), under section 14A of the Children Act 1989.
‘Children of staff’ refers to situations where the staff member is the natural parent, the legal guardian or a resident step parent. ‘Staff’ includes all those on the payroll of the school who have, (i) been employed at the school for two or more years at the time at which the application for admission to the school is made, or (ii) have been recruited to fill a vacant post for which there is a demonstrable skill shortage.
Receiving the outcome of your application

  • If you are offered a place, you are required to accept the place within 10 school days and to start your child within four school weeks. (If your child is starting in Year R for the first time, please discuss admission arrangements with the school).
  • If the school cannot offer your child a place, you will receive a letter advising you of the arrangements for placing your child’s name on the waiting list and your right of appeal to an independent appeal panel.

If you need help finding a school place, please contact the County Admissions Team on 0300 555 1377 or e-mail  [email protected] .
If you need this document in large print, translated, on audio cassette or in Braille, please contact The County Admissions Team on 0300 555 1377.